The Zach Smith Fund of The Winston-Salem Foundation is pleased to announce that $14,507 was granted to nine teachers in Mount Airy City Schools for professional development opportunities.
- Lisa Belcher, Mount Airy Middle School – $700 to support the visual arts classroom
- Kathy Brintle, Mount Airy Middle School – $750 to support the horticultural and environmental science classroom
- Lynn Brown, Bruce H. Tharrington Primary School – $519 to support building a culturally diverse literature library for students
- Fara Carson, Jones Intermediate School – $1,740 to support yoga sessions for students and staff
- Polly Long, Mount Airy High School – $2,450 to support the Blue Bear Cafe which provides workplace readiness skills
- Kasey Martin, Mount Airy Middle School – $2,500 to support the school enterprise kiosk run by students
- Alex Tedder, Mount Airy Middle School – $2,253 to support improved student data collection for tailored instruction
- Gina Tompkins, Jones Intermediate School – $1,110 for flexible seating options in the classroom to meet the needs of differential learning styles of students
- Eve Trotter, Mount Airy City Schools – $2,485 to create a collaborative space for staff development and instruction
The Zach Smith Fund was created in 2009 with gifts made in memory of Zach Smith from the Z. Smith Reynolds Foundation, the Mary Reynolds Babcock Foundation, and his family and friends. The Fund provides grant awards annually to educators in Mount Airy, NC.
To learn more, visit wsfoundation.org/teacher-grants.