If you are a nonprofit organization serving the Tri-Counties area of Elkin, NC, you could be eligible for funding from the Elkin Funds of The Winston-Salem Foundation. These funds consist of three component trusts established by Richard T. Chatham, Lucy Hanes Chatham, and citizens of Elkin to benefit the community. A community advisory committee based in Elkin will review all grant proposals.
Grant seekers are encouraged to consider the following criteria when requesting funds:
- Grants will be made only to legally-recognized nonprofit organizations that benefit residents of the Elkin Tri-County core, defined as the area bounded by Dobson, Boonville, Hamptonville, Roaring River, and Thurmond, NC.
- Ordinarily, grants support projects that initiate, expand, or improve direct service to people. Grants will not be made for ongoing operating expenses.
- Grants for capital campaigns or major equipment purposes will be a low priority for the advisory committee, and requests for capital and equipment grants are discouraged. However, exceptions are occasionally made.
- Grants will not be made to supplant tax or government funding for projects or institutions that would ordinarily receive public funding support. However, public institutions such as schools may submit proposals for innovative projects for which funds are not ordinarily provided.
- The governing board for the applicant organization must approve the planned project prior to submission of a proposal to the committee.
- Except in unusual cases, grants will be approved for one year at a time.
- The advisory committee encourages collaborative projects that bring together organizations with similar missions.
How to Apply
Elkin/Tri-County grant applications are considered once a year in the spring; applicants will receive a decision after a two-month review period. The 2023 grant application is closed. The next grant cycle will open in February 2024.
Applications are received via the Foundation's Grant Application Portal. For more info about creating an account, read our registration instructions. If you need technical assistance, please contact us at email@example.com and we will follow-up within 1-2 business days. (Please register at least two weeks before the deadline so our staff has time to approve your registration.)