CREATING HOPE AND POSSIBILITY
The Winston-Salem Foundation is a 94-year-old community foundation comprised of more than 1,300 funds created by charitable individuals and organizations. Since 1919, individuals, families, and corporations have used our expertise to improve the quality of life in Forsyth County, its surrounding areas, and beyond.
We offer personalized service to make giving easy, flexible and efficient; local expertise with knowledge of current community issues to make giving as effective as possible; and community leadership in bringing together diverse voices and groups to address issues, foster greater giving and support high-impact opportunities. Our mission is to invest in our community by making philanthropy and its benefits available to all. We accomplish this by:
- Assisting individuals and organizations with their charitable giving
- Making grants to nonprofit organizations
- Providing financial aid to college students
- Offering community leadership on many local issues
- We were established in 1919 as the first foundation in the state of North Carolina with a $1,000 gift from Col. Francis Fries.
- We are comprised of over 1,300 funds established by charitable individuals, families, businesses, and community organizations. Grants made from these funds support a wide range of issues in our community and elsewhere in the U.S.
- At the end of 2013, the Foundation had assets of $358.2 million. In 2013 we granted more than $20.9 million to charitable causes, over $2.5 million of which was through the Community Grants program.
- In the 2013-2014 school year, the Foundation's 156 student aid funds provided 576 students with $995,601 in scholarships and $119,200 in low-interest loans - totaling more than $1.1 million in student aid to our community.
- The Winston-Salem Foundation is the 45th largest community foundation in the U.S. as ranked by 2012 assets. In 2012 the Foundation was also ranked 45th in terms of gifts received and 51st in terms of grants made. (FY 2012 Columbus Survey of Community Foundations)