CREATING HOPE AND POSSIBILITY
The Winston-Salem Foundation is a 96-year-old community foundation comprised of more than 1,300 funds created by charitable individuals and organizations. Since 1919, individuals, families, and corporations have used our expertise to improve the quality of life in Forsyth County, its surrounding areas, and beyond.
We offer personalized service to make giving easy, flexible and efficient; local expertise with knowledge of current community issues to make giving as effective as possible; and community leadership in bringing together diverse voices and groups to address issues, foster greater giving and support high-impact opportunities. Our mission is to invest in our community by making philanthropy and its benefits available to all. We accomplish this by:
- Assisting individuals and organizations with their charitable giving
- Making grants to nonprofit organizations
- Providing financial aid to college students
- Offering community leadership on many local issues
- We were established in 1919 as the first foundation in the state of North Carolina with a $1,000 gift from Col. Francis Fries.
- We are comprised of over 1,300 funds established by charitable individuals, families, businesses, and community organizations. Grants made from these funds support a wide range of issues in our community and elsewhere in the U.S.
- At the end of 2014, the Foundation had assets of $384.3 million. In 2014 we granted more than $24.8 million to charitable causes, over $2 million of which was through the Community Grants program.
- In the 2015-2016 school year, the Foundation's 138 student aid funds provided 554 scholarship awards totaling $933,000 in student aid.
The Winston-Salem Foundation is the 43rd largest community foundation in the U.S. as ranked by 2014 assets. (FY 2014 Columbus Survey of Community Foundations) In 2013 the Foundation was ranked 22nd in terms of gifts received per capita, and 19th in terms of total gifts and grants transactions. (FY 2013 Columbus Survey of Community Foundations)